[rfc-i] Experiment with Unicode in HTML/PDF (was: Re: RFC Format BoF)

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Sun Mar 25 21:03:11 PDT 2012

Hello Heather, others,

This is a submission of a lightning talk in the form of an Internet
Draft in three versions:

ASCII text: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-duerst-eai-mailto-03
(including http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-duerst-eai-mailto-03.txt for
the total purists)

PDF: http://tools.ietf.org/pdf/draft-duerst-eai-mailto-03.pdf

HTML:
http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp/2012/pub/draft-duerst-eai-mailto-03.html
(hosted personally)

The PDF and HTML versions contain non-ASCII characters where
appropriate. The text version uses various fallbacks as appropriate.

The parts of interest are the author's list, the examples in sections
6.4 and 6.5, the Acknowledgments, and references [RFC3987] and [RFC6530].

Unfortunately, I will not be able to actually present the lightning
talk, because I'm in Japan and it will be past midnight when you have
the BOF. But maybe somebody else can volunteer?

Some further background:

I choose this draft because it is not yet a WG draft, and it was
therefore a bit easier to play around, i.e. without having to get WG
buy-in. There are still many technical fixes that I'm planning for this
draft, and for this mailing list and BOF, the technical content of the
draft is of course secondary (although I'd want to stress that the
change in how the technical content comes across depending on whether
Unicode is used or not is the whole point of the exercise).

[In case there are technical questions or comments, please send them to
the (first) author(s) or to the EAI WG mailing list (ima at ietf.org; the
'ima' isn't a typo).]

The production was handled by augmenting the XML source with additional
attributes (e.g., an attribute ifullname to parallel the fullname
attribute on <author>) and selective elements (<aonly> for text that
goes only into the ascii version; <ionly> for text that goes only into
the 'internationalized' version).

 From this common source, two separated xml files are produced by XSLT,
and then the .txt and .html version are produced with xml2rf.tcl, all of
which is organized by a very simple script written in Ruby. I'll happily
share these once they are cleaned up a bit more.

For the conversion from HTML to PDF, I used the "Save As" option in MS
Word, after heavily shrinking the left and right margins to make sure I
didn't get disturbing linebreaks in the artwork.

Please note that I'm less than happy with the details of the HTML
styling and the PDF formatting. I can go into details if necessary.

Regards,    Martin.