[rfc-i] Use of PDF/A for archiving RFC's

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Sun Mar 25 17:58:40 PDT 2012

On 3/23/2012 5:17 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> On the graphics themselves, I am really tired of having to read other
> people's attempts to produce block diagrams in ASCII art. The last
> piece of ASCII art whose meaning was really clear to me was on a DEC
> document and titled 'see figure 1'. We certainly need to fix that.
> Trying to read a cryptographic protocol in ASCII art with superscripts
> and subscripts is rubbish.

FWIW, in most cases it's necessary to declare either the text or the
diagram as the primary reference, i.e., where differences exist (and
they often do).

Since the text is usually the primary reference, IMO the clarity of
diagrams isn't critical, but AFAICT anything too complex for ASCII is
too complex for a protocol spec.

Joe