[rfc-i] Resetting this format debate a bit

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Sun Mar 25 16:38:22 PDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

> You can use the tools.ietf.org HTML version and print from a browser. No
> reason to buy anything.

Hah, and at some point in the not-too-distant past, someone at Google
did something such that if you type "RFCxxxx" for most values of xxxx,
the tools.ietf.org version is at the top of the list.  It’s still
dorky-looking fixed-width ASCII and you have to do a little extra
pinching to get it the right size, but it’s perfectly legible on my
handset, and prints OK too, with some minor confusion about page
numbers.

Me, I still think the IETF would do itself a favor if it transitioned
its deliverables to something a little more 21st-century, but I
withdraw my contention that this is a bleeding neck wound.  -T