[rfc-i] Resetting this format debate a bit

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Sun Mar 25 15:16:16 PDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 1:47 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca> wrote:
>    Tim> 3. There are those who are irritated because many RFCs are provided in
>    Tim> a form that I can’t print on a Mac
>
> Why is this our problem?
> Why isn't a bug in the MAC/Windows printing eco-system, that apparently
> .txt files with ^L characters no longer work?

We want implementors of Internet software to use our specifications,
and it would seem like a good thing to remove barriers to this
happening. The fact that a very high proportion of implementors choose
to use operating systems that lack good support for the legacy spec
format may displease us, but I don't think it's very smart to ignore
the problem.  -Tim