[rfc-i] rfc-interest Digest, Vol 89, Issue 9

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sat Mar 24 23:08:02 PDT 2012

On 3/22/2012 6:43 PM, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> The European Patent office uses an XML format for the authoring and reviewing of patents, but they use PDF/A for the archiving of those patents (with the original XML&  any associated resources/assets embedded).

When a patent is issued, there is no intent to support later revision.  So for
patents, the final, displayable form really is final.  That's not necessarily
true for an RFC.

That's why we at least need to distinguish between the master version that is in
a widely-support and stable revisable form, versus any number of display forms
that might be convenient.

We need to archive both the revisable form and (at least some) display forms, to
make later revision and later viewing both easy.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking