[rfc-i] rfc-interest Digest, Vol 89, Issue 11

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sat Mar 24 22:57:40 PDT 2012

On 3/22/2012 8:06 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> The current publication format is text/plain, encoded in US-ASCII.
>
> We can change the media type without changing the encoding, such as by moving to
> "text/plain; format=flowed".
>
> We can change the encoding without changing the media type, such as by moving to
> "text/plain", encoded in UTF-8.

Folks,

(Take the refinements noted in a couple of later messages as given.)

So, I'm looking at your two variations, here, and find myself wondering why they
are not sufficient enhancements for the needs of RFCs, in terms of adapting to
different display environments and supporting international character sets?

These are the smallest possible tweaks to our current system and seem to
entirely handle the major issues of display variability and international
character sets.

It doesn't handle embedded images, of course, but for the rest, I'm curious why
the above are not sufficient?

d/

--

   Dave Crocker