[rfc-i] Use of PDF/A for archiving RFC's

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sat Mar 24 22:46:05 PDT 2012

On 3/22/2012 4:51 PM, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
>> It seems unfortunate to chose a format for archival purpose that requires purchasing a standard for several hundred euros in order to implement it.
>> >
> All I can say here is that it has not stopped over 50 countries around the world from making it a national standard. Additionally about 20 states in the US have standardized on it, as well as various other governmental agencies in the US and elsewhere.

That's certainly an intuitively appealing point, but there's quite a bit of
history which demonstrates that it is neither necessary nor sufficient.

For some really juicy examples in the networking world, please refer to the
history of OSI in general and X.400 in particular.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking