[rfc-i] Internet Draft Format

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Sat Mar 24 17:36:06 PDT 2012

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Joe Hildebrand <jhildebr at cisco.com> wrote:
> Jus to be really clear, are you suggesting that the HTML output of xml2rfc
> would be submitted and tracked in *addition* to the text format, or that the
> HTML format could be submitted on its own?

In addition.  If we wanted to retire the hard-to-print hard-to-read
ASCII-bound text format I’d be fine with that too, but I can hear the
screams starting at the very thought.

> I could probably get comfortable with either as a starting point, but the
> first doesn't seem to advance the cause very far, and the latter probably
> causes tool problems in the short term.  Neither of those is insurmountable,
> of course.

The first solves two big problems right away: It allows people to read
RFCs easily on mobile devices, and it makes them infinitely easier to
print, with better typography and readability in the print output.  -T