[rfc-i] Potential RFC format approach: HTML

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 09:16:22 PDT 2012

I see two sets of equally important requirements

* Permit use of commercial software for editing text
* Permit use of ad-hoc tools to generate text from other sources

If I have a spec that incorporates an XML schema, I want to have one
file on my machine with that schema so that when I edit that file it
updates both the sample code I am writing and the specification.

Extra points if it is also possible to use a tool extract text from
the file to obtain the original sources. The ability to round-trip
data from schema files, ABNF etc. would be very valuable.

The reason I think HTML should be chosen is that it is the only one
format that comes close to making this practical. I can't round trip
text from the plaintext format without a lot of additional effort.

I have a bunch of tools that I use in addition that allow me to
generate ugly things like XML schemas from a more abstract format and
also the code. I can make those available if people are interested.

Website: http://hallambaker.com/