[rfc-i] Use of PDF/A for archiving RFC's

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 17:17:25 PDT 2012

I don't much like using PDF/A either.

HTML4 is well defined and can do everything needed to process the
current generation of RFCs. Moving from the text based graphics to
something sane would be good but that is a lower priority for me than
the ability to process the text with easy to write scripts.

HTML was designed to facilitate that type of processing, PDF was not.

On the graphics themselves, I am really tired of having to read other
people's attempts to produce block diagrams in ASCII art. The last
piece of ASCII art whose meaning was really clear to me was on a DEC
document and titled 'see figure 1'. We certainly need to fix that.
Trying to read a cryptographic protocol in ASCII art with superscripts
and subscripts is rubbish.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/