[rfc-i] Use of PDF/A for archiving RFC's

Joe Hildebrand jhildebr at cisco.com
Fri Mar 23 09:23:29 PDT 2012

On 3/23/12 2:27 AM, "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

> The picture itself reminds me that having tools that generate things
> like diagrams from a textual description might be just what we need to
> bridge from plain text to text + graphics.

There are a couple of big use cases for ASCII art.  Maybe we could start by
listing those:

- Sequence diagrams
- State transitions
- Packet descriptions
- Architecture layers

I could imagine DSLs like the ones websequencediagrams.com and dot use might
be helpful both as generation mechanisms as well as alt text.  I do NOT
think that any of those tools would be required to get started, since the
status quo with <pre> tags breaks the log jam.  We could write requirements
that say in order to embed anything graphical you MUST have an alt
representation that gets the gist of graphics across to a reader with extra
time or expertise.

--
Joe Hildebrand