[rfc-i] Use of PDF/A for archiving RFC's

Leonard Rosenthol lrosenth at adobe.com
Thu Mar 22 08:51:54 PDT 2012

> It seems unfortunate to chose a format for archival purpose that requires purchasing a standard for several hundred euros in order to implement it.
All I can say here is that it has not stopped over 50 countries around the world from making it a national standard. Additionally about 20 states in the US have standardized on it, as well as various other governmental agencies in the US and elsewhere.

>HTML5 does not have that issue.
True.  However, in that case, you don't know WHICH standard to use (W3C vs. WHATWG).

>On a technical aspect, can you say something about the differences between the conformance levels and versions?  Which would be appropriate to use?
As with other things, depends on your requirements.

Without known them all, my personal recommendation is PDF/A-3u.  PDF/A-3 because it allows for the embedding/attachment of other data sources (in this case, the source document in ASCII/XML/etc.).  And the 'u' conformance level because having all text in Unicode is a good thing.