[rfc-i] Use of PDF/A for archiving RFC's

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Thu Mar 22 08:38:31 PDT 2012

Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth at adobe.com> writes:

> The ISO version is the only version available.
>
> However, I will point out that the (minor) cost of purchasing the
> standard has not been a deterrent for open source implementers, as
> evidenced by the numerous projects out that that can create, view or
> validate PDF/A files.

It seems unfortunate to chose a format for archival purpose that
requires purchasing a standard for several hundred euros in order to
implement it.  HTML5 does not have that issue.

On a technical aspect, can you say something about the differences
between the conformance levels and versions?  Which would be appropriate
to use?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF/A

/Simon