[rfc-i] Use of PDF/A for archiving RFC's

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Wed Mar 21 16:05:20 PDT 2012

On 3/21/2012 3:51 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2012-03-21 23:39, Joe Touch wrote:
>> Editing in a specific print format can be problematic, but WYSIWYG
>> extends beyond "printout mode" to functions like being able to lift
>> entire subtrees in outline mode and have them paste/drop anywhere with
>> automatic renumbering.
>
> Automatic renumbering even works with nroff (unless I'm confusing
> something), so I wouldn't call that a WSYIWYG feature.

FWIW, I'm talking about seeing the renumbering *while I'm editing*
(i.e., fairly quickly after the paste/drop), thus the "visual" part.

>> Displays do vary widely in format, but that doesn't necessarily mean we
>> can't edit things "visually" (if you prefer that term to WYSIWYG),
>> rather than peeking under the covers at the source code.
>
> My *personal* experience is that WYSIWYG most of the distracts me and
> keeps me on focusing on the content. Yes, I'm not the average author,
> but then this is hopefully true for most people writing technical
> specifications.

I'm also focused on content. I find it much easier to organize the
information - and reorganize it as the document evolves - to make the
content easier to follow when I can edit visually. Things that took days
to weeks in XML2RFC take me minutes in Word, as a measure.

I.e., by personal preference towards visual editing isn't to create
slick pop reading material. This is also quite important when editing a
spec.

Joe