[rfc-i] Use of PDF/A for archiving RFC's

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Wed Mar 21 15:39:32 PDT 2012

On 3/21/2012 3:32 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2012-03-21 23:19, Joe Touch wrote:
>> FWIW, I'm the one who uses Word to generate RFCs currently; I don't use
>> XML because the editors are too cumbersome. Not to say I support that as
>> any particular format, but I'd be very happy if the author format
>> supported the use of a "modern WYSIWYG" editor. That's my personal
>> preference, though, so I didn't list it as a requirement.
>
> Yes, and I'd like to use the opportunity to point out that WSYIWYG is
> nowadays considers frequently as anti-pattern (unless you're doing
> Desktop Publishing for things that get printed), because it makes little
> sense when display devices vary widely in format. ("What You See Is All
> You Get")

Editing in a specific print format can be problematic, but WYSIWYG
extends beyond "printout mode" to functions like being able to lift
entire subtrees in outline mode and have them paste/drop anywhere with
automatic renumbering.

Displays do vary widely in format, but that doesn't necessarily mean we
can't edit things "visually" (if you prefer that term to WYSIWYG),
rather than peeking under the covers at the source code.

Joe