[rfc-i] Use of PDF/A for archiving RFC's

Leonard Rosenthol lrosenth at adobe.com
Wed Mar 21 15:26:31 PDT 2012

As Joe stated, I guess it depends on what your goals are.

HTML4 (or XHTML) might be a potential solution as it's well established standard that has been accepted by many countries and organizations.  It can be verified with existing tooling and there exists viewers that will render it.   HTML5, however, is a moving target that wouldn't begin to qualify (IMO).

On the other hand, it is not self-contained (eg. Images are separate) which means storage & exchange are more difficult.  Also no support for signatures or authenticity mechanisms or for metadata.

Leonard