[rfc-i] Use of PDF/A for archiving RFC's

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Wed Mar 21 14:43:17 PDT 2012

Hi, all,

It might be useful to understand the requirements, and separate out the
phases since each might have different requirements. Paul notes below a
display requirement for the archival version. Some others that come to mind.

Since I won't be at the IETF, my view of the phases and some possible
requirements is:

(this isn't intended to be complete or definitive, but as a suggestion
for discussion):

------------

Authorship
- supported by editors on a wide variety of platforms

Editing/community review
- supports document comparison ("diffs" or equivalent)
- supports copy/paste into email on a wide variety of platforms (e.g.,
for email-list conversations about content)
	this might include copy/paste of text as text for email,
	or copy/paste of diagrams as GIF or JPGs for email

Submission
- can be verified compliant using automatic tools/programs
- can be modified (i.e., editable; arguably this means the submission
format is either the same as the authorship one or can be easily
translated into a format that can be edited)

Archive
- displays on a wide variety of devices
- supports both intradocument and multi-document search (i.e., searching
the entire RFC series)
- stability measured in decades