[rfc-i] RFC Format BoF

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Wed Mar 14 13:43:14 PDT 2012

On 3/14/12 4:16 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

> On 3/14/2012 1:08 PM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
>> Hi all -
>>
>> It's almost recursive: this is a message about the format of the RFC
>> Format BoF.   As mentioned in an earlier post, I want the BoF to be
>> informal, with the audience providing the information.  I do not want it
>> to be so informal that we devolve in to food fights and dart gun wars
>> (we can save that for another time).  So, in order to find a balance and
>> to effectively use our hour, we will be structuring the BoF as a series
>> of lightning talks with a general introduction.
>>
>> Individuals who wish to present their concerns and suggestions regarding
>> images and internationalization
>
> Heather,
>
> I'm not exactly sure what will be accomplished by lightening talks,
> other than possible entertainment.  In conferences, such talks are
> good for exposing people to an idea and possibly for generating some
> interest in the idea.  The problem, here, is that we are supposed to
> move towards making choices.
>
> We have two venues for meeting.  One is email and the other is
> face-to-face. Email is good for presenting information and quite poor
> for negotiation.  F2F can be quite good for presentations, of course,
> but it's also good for negotiation.
>
> We ought to find a way for the f2f to be used for its unique benefit.
>
> Imagine an alternative format:
>
> 1. People with positions to express express them via email prior to xxx.
>
> 2. The meeting is divided into discussions about positions for
> specific topics.
>

> Just a thought...

Hi Dave,

I understand, and I agree that negotiation does need to happen.  I'm
just not ready for it to happen right now, while I'm still learning what
it all means.  Based on the morass of history and no consensus, a BoF
format that will allow some summary of positions and opinions in a
controlled fashion (and I argue that control on an open mailing list is
not possible) will be valuable to me.

-Heather