[rfc-i] I-D Action: draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-v2-04.txt

SM sm at resistor.net
Tue Mar 13 11:44:23 PDT 2012

At 11:10 13-03-2012, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
>The point of the text was to describe the fact that since the RSOC
>is an IAB Program, the IAB can appoint (and remove) members as it
>chooses. Thus, IAB members can not join "at their whim", but rather
>with the permission of the IAB.  The fact that one IAB member is
>monitoring the RSOC list but not participating in the discussion is
>also with the knowledge and permission of the IAB.
>
>I guess what is really bothering me is that if I remove the text,
>none of the facts to which you are objecting will cease to be the
>case.  The text is here so that everyone (the IAB, the RSOC members,
>the RSE, and the community) understand what rules we are working under.

The text can say many things depending on who is reading it.  There
are advantages and disadvantages to IAB members joining on an issue
basis; or what might be described as short term perspective (Section
3.1.1, paragraph 1).  The following text seems to be the point of contention:

   "Other IAB members may choose to be full members of the RSOC, with
    the consent of the IAB.  This consent is primarily concerned with
    avoiding overpopulating the RSOC and providing it with relatively
    stable membership, which will work best if it is not too large a
    committee."

Here's some text:

    In addition to the members from outside of the IAB appointed to the
    RSOC, IAB members may participate as full members of the RSOC with
    the consent of the IAB.  This consent is  primarily concerned with
    avoiding overpopulating the RSOC and providing it with relatively
    stable membership, which will work best if it is not too large a
    committee.  Under most circumstances, there will be a specific
    individual IAB member appointed by the IAB as the program lead.
    This member's role is distinct from any RSOC internal organizational
    roles, such as the RSOC choosing to appoint a chair from among its
    members.

I left out that the program lead is a full member as the first part
of the paragraph already says that IAB members are fill members of the RSOC.

Regards,
-sm