[rfc-i] I-D Action: draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-v2-04.txt

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Tue Mar 13 06:42:52 PDT 2012

On 3/12/2012 7:48 PM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
> In line...
>
> On 3/12/2012 10:36 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>>>     This member's role is distinct from any RSOC internal
>>> organizational roles, such as the RSOC choosing to appoint a chair
>>> from among its members.
>>
>> That's very elliptical. Why not just say "The RSOC will appoint a chair
>> from among its members."
>
> It is elliptical because the IAB does not choose to mandate in an RFC whether
> the RSOC chooses to / needs to have a chair. (Not all IAB Programs have chairs.)

This isn't "some" Program.  It's a specific one.

Plausible choices for the charter are that RSOC will:

1.  Have a chair mandated by its charter

2.  Have one prohibited by its charter

3.  Have an internal organization that it will determine.

If a chair is mandated by the charter, the chair will be:

a.  Chosen by the IAB

b.  Chosen by RSOC from amongst its members

The charter needs to have simple statement, like the above.  Offhand, I would
recommend the charter to mandate a chair and tell RSOC to choose from amongst
its members.

>>> Other IAB members may choose to be full
>>> members of the RSOC, with the consent of the IAB. This consent is
>>> primarily concerned with avoiding overpopulating the RSOC and
>>> providing it with relatively stable membership, which will work best
>>> if it is not too large a committee.
>>
>> This is very waffly. The IAB should, IMHO, make a conscious effort
>> to keep out of RSOC details. Allowing some undefined number of IAB
>> members to get immersed in the details seems to be exactly the wrong
>> thing to do.

+1

>>            In fact, I thought the RSOC was invented to help the
>> IAB avoid micro-management. Frankly, if we have people in the IAB
>> whose ambition is to deal with this rather than with technology,
>> we need to have a strong word with NomCom.
>
> The RSOC is an IAB program. The IAB expectation is that some number of IAB
> members will be active participants in each and every IAB Program.

That's fine.  But that's covered by saying that the IAB appoints RSOC members.

It does not need to specify the various pool lengthy and confusing statements
about who it might appoint aren't needed.

Much worse is to have stray IAB folk wandering in and out of RSOC.  Either
appoint them as members or don't.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker