[rfc-i] I-D Action: draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-v2-04.txt

Joel M. Halpern jmh at joelhalpern.com
Mon Mar 12 19:48:32 PDT 2012

In line...

>> In addition to the members from outside of the IAB appointed to the
>> RSOC, IAB members may participate as full members of the RSOC. Under
>> most circumstances, there will be a specific individual IAB member
>> appointed by the IAB as the program lead, who will be a full member
>> of the RSOC. This member's role is distinct from any RSOC internal
>> organizational roles, such as the RSOC choosing to appoint a chair
>> from among its members.
>
> That's very elliptical. Why not just say "The RSOC will appoint a chair
> from among its members."

It is elliptical because the IAB does not choose to mandate in an RFC
whether the RSOC chooses to / needs to have a chair.  (Not all IAB
Programs have chairs.)

>> Other IAB members may choose to be full
>> members of the RSOC, with the consent of the IAB. This consent is
>> primarily concerned with avoiding overpopulating the RSOC and
>> providing it with relatively stable membership, which will work best
>> if it is not too large a committee.
>
> This is very waffly. The IAB should, IMHO, make a conscious effort
> to keep out of RSOC details. Allowing some undefined number of IAB
> members to get immersed in the details seems to be exactly the wrong
> thing to do. In fact, I thought the RSOC was invented to help the
> IAB avoid micro-management. Frankly, if we have people in the IAB
> whose ambition is to deal with this rather than with technology,
> we need to have a strong word with NomCom.

The RSOC is an IAB program.  The IAB expectation is that some number of
IAB members will be active participants in each and every IAB Program.
The point of the RSOC is the pair of avoiding burdening the entire IAB
with managing the RSE, and bringing in additional, stable, expertise
beyond the IAB membership.  The goal is NOT to exclude the IAB.  (Note
that two IAB members are currently serving on the RSOC, and another is
observing teh RSOC list.)
It is left waffly because, as an IAB program and an IAB responsibility,
the IAB needs to retain flexibility with regard to its direct
participation in the RSOC, rather than trying to write prescriptive
rules about it.

And to turn your comment on IAB / Nomcom around, if the Nocmom is not
appointing people to the IAB who are prepared to deal with the full
range of IAB responsibilities, then we have a serious problem.