[rfc-i] I-D Action: draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-v2-04.txt

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 19:36:36 PDT 2012

> In addition to the members from outside of the IAB appointed to the
> RSOC, IAB members may participate as full members of the RSOC. Under
> most circumstances, there will be a specific individual IAB member
> appointed by the IAB as the program lead, who will be a full member
> of the RSOC. This member's role is distinct from any RSOC internal
> organizational roles, such as the RSOC choosing to appoint a chair
> from among its members.

That's very elliptical. Why not just say "The RSOC will appoint a chair
from among its members."

> Other IAB members may choose to be full
> members of the RSOC, with the consent of the IAB. This consent is
> primarily concerned with avoiding overpopulating the RSOC and
> providing it with relatively stable membership, which will work best
> if it is not too large a committee.

This is very waffly. The IAB should, IMHO, make a conscious effort
to keep out of RSOC details. Allowing some undefined number of IAB
members to get immersed in the details seems to be exactly the wrong
thing to do. In fact, I thought the RSOC was invented to help the
IAB avoid micro-management. Frankly, if we have people in the IAB
whose ambition is to deal with this rather than with technology,
we need to have a strong word with NomCom.

  Brian