Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Mon Jun 25 06:20:54 PDT 2012

On 2012-06-25 15:14, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> Formatted ASCII: absolutely. A clean break with no ASCII version would be too traumatic, I expect. No opinion on nroff. And we certainly need PDF.

Generating (nicely) formatted ASCII will be hard if the new source
format contains considerably more complex markup than the xml2rfc
vocabulary (such as more list options, and more complex tables).

Generating PDF is relatively trivial if the HTML we get has sufficient
information, and the IETF is willing to spend money for PrinceXML. The
alternatives are open-source solutions (such as a webkit print library
or conversion to XSL-FO), which both have same drawbacks.

Best regards, Julian