Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Fri Jun 22 14:26:15 PDT 2012

On 22 Jun 2012, at 23:17 , Julian Reschke wrote:

>> As for 1, we now have RFCs that are about 40 years old. Do we really expect XML2RFC to be around and be compatible with how it operates today in 40 years?

> I don't see why not, unless we break it.

I guess there is Fortran code out there that's 40 years old and still runs today, and various types of emulation to run old software. But as a general rule, code rots. It simply stops working when enough time has passed.

So relying on the ability to run code is much more problematic than relying on the ability to decode a once popular format. Or better yet, having a format that's simple enough that new tools to decode it can be created as needed.