Joel M. Halpern jmh at joelhalpern.com
Thu Jun 21 15:26:37 PDT 2012

Suppose that we declare that you submit however you want, and we
generate text, html, pdf, ebook, and absurdogram formats.  I don't care
how automated it is, or how much we check the software, sometimes, there
will be differences.  Mostly, they won't matter.  But once in a while,
they will.
I am not so much worried about lawyers as about providing an easy way
for users to resolve confusions in such cases.  (This is, from where I
sit, the same argument that we use for why we pick one specific
representation inside a spec to be normative, even though we check
carefully that they are the same.)

Yours,
Joel