Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Jun 21 14:36:58 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 12:11:31AM +0300, Yoav Nir wrote:
> RFC 5585 (DKIM overview) is not poetry or literary criticism, but it is meant to be read by the kind of people who would not be able to read raw XML.

Ok.  But remember the original problem was that there were people who
couldn't read the XML (or whatever), and it was important that they be
able to read it.  I think we may now be engineering for a problem that
has never happened, and probably never will: there is a problem in the
toolchain such that the source code is incorrectly interpreted, and it
makes enough of a difference that someone who cannot read the source
format and who needs emergency access to the informative overview
document cannot wait until the tool is fixed.

Is that really the problem that we want to solve in settling this
issue?

> I don't usually read the XML either. I read rendered HTML, PDF or text regardless of whether or not it is the canonical form. The important thing for a canonical form is that it has all the data, not so much that it is readable in itself.

I can live with that for sure.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com