Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 13:25:19 PDT 2012

Since I will continue to use Google to locate RFCs.. I guess I will
land on the page they consider appropriate.

But we certainly need something like the functionality Paul suggests.
Now it might be realized through a landing page or a menu bar at the
top of the page (like the tools currently does) or whatever.

But one reason we would want this approach is so that there is the
possibility to support the extraction of embedded content such as
schema files etc.

I am starting to lean towards the idea of making the XML version of
the doc 'canonical'. I still think the legal argument is specious, but
it is certainly best that everyone hook their tools onto a single
version of the editorial output rather than have half of them use the
HTML as input and half use the XML as input.

>From a practical point of view it is probably going to serve us best
if the 'tools canonical' format is as stable as possible. This
probably means that we don't want to choose the HTML version as I can
see that being modified for purely cosmetic reasons and that should
not require people to rev their tools.

The only practical implication of this is that the XML format would be
the one used internally by the RFC editor tools. Authors would still
be able to edit in HTML (applying an IETF template) and there would be
a HTML output with the ability to round trip (so updating an RFC can
start from the HTML on the web site).

Website: http://hallambaker.com/