Joel M. Halpern jmh at joelhalpern.com
Thu Jun 21 12:57:25 PDT 2012

HTML has the itneresting property that it is both an input form and a
presentation form.  So it muddies the water (which may be the right answer.)

I am not saying that the RFC Editor should only publish one output form.
  Such a restriction seems counter-productive.

Rather, there should be one form that readers who are NOT active IETF
members, and who may not be able to read XML or SGML, can check in the
case of apparent inconsistencies to make sure they know what the precise
spec is.

If we decide that HTML is the right input form, I am probably willing to
let some well-defined rendition of that HTML be the canonical form for
resolving such inconsistencies.

Note: If everything works well, such issues should be rare.  Based on
history, I know that rarity will not be equivalent to 0.

Yours,
Joel