Joel M. Halpern jmh at joelhalpern.com
Thu Jun 21 12:36:54 PDT 2012

I have thought of the term canonical as being akin to normative.
If we have transformations, periodically there will be inconsistencies.
It seems to me helpful, and arguably necessary, to have a specific,
singular, form which can be read in the case o finconsistency.
thus, I am very uncomfortable with a canonical form that is the xml, etc.
Further, I note that in practice, checking for correctness will be done
by the authors (e.g auth48)on the output form, not the input form.
Hence, I just can't see how the input can be canonical.

Yours,
Joel