[rfc-i] Open issue: semantically tagging data

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Thu Jun 21 09:58:47 PDT 2012

On Jun 21, 2012, at 8:03 AM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:

> We seem to have come to rough consensus on a large number of items,
> and I know several people are working on I-D to discuss format.  There
> were just a few items that have not received much discussion beyond
> their initial suggestion in to the requirements list.  One of those is:
>
> Want the ability to semantically tag some document info, at least
> authors' names and references
>
> Any discussion on this?  Is this just a "nice to have" that may just
> be a part of some of the formats we'll see proposed and not a
> requirement for a new format?

It should a requirement for the canonical document that will be used to generate the other documents. If the metadata is not in that document, generating other documents will require hand-coding to scrape for the metadata, which is error-prone. (And, yes, I did cheat in the -00 proposal, where the canonical document was plain text, by saying that there would be a second document that held the metadata.) Both XML and HMTL can hold all the metadata just fine.

--Paul Hoffman