[rfc-i] New proposal for "canonical and others"

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Sat Jun 16 11:01:46 PDT 2012

On Jun 16, 2012, at 10:51 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2012, at 10:48 AM, Joe Touch wrote:
>
>> I also think that editing software isn't something I expect the RFC Editor - or anyone else - to supply. Maybe post-processors, but not the editing system. If we can't use what the majority of the planet uses to write our docs, then something's busted.
>

> Ummm, how do you think that the hundreds (if not thousands) if Internet-Draft authors are producing XML today? Hint: with text editors.

The majority of the planet does not edit source code. I understand many on this list can't see why we cannot evolve to more modern display formats in a new solution - I similarly don't understand why we can't use modern editors in a new solution.

We agree (I think) that scripts to modify what editors support is OK, but I want to make sure that we're not designing a solution that wedges us into homegrown toolsets.

Joe