[rfc-i] issue: canonical formats

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Wed Jun 6 11:14:29 PDT 2012

On 6 Jun 2012, at 13:27 , Julian Reschke wrote:

>> ... So in practice, reading the XML2RFC source requires running the XML2RFC tool. ...

> No. If it's archived without external dependencies (which should be the case anyway), you can read it in every browser using rfc2629.xslt.

Hm, I've had inconsistent results with that. (And it always feels a bit like using your backup parachute...)

>> ... In the past, there have been cases where the current version of the XML2RFC format couldn't be transformed into usable output by the current(ly widely available) of the XML2RFC tool. ...

> Example?

This whole thing where the legal boilerplate was changed and wasn't correctly handled by the online version of the tool several years ago, the details escape me.

>> ... Also, the tool has little or no official support so it could fall by the wayside at any time.

> So why did the IETF just invest money to rewrite it?

I didn't know they had so I don't know why.