[rfc-i] issue: canonical formats

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 02:10:13 PDT 2012

On 2012-06-06 09:19, Yoav Nir wrote:
> On Jun 6, 2012, at 11:04 AM, SM wrote:
>
>> At 00:06 06-06-2012, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>>> (off list)
>> :-)

[I changed my mind but forgot to remove that.]

>>> On 2012-06-05 12:26, Martin J. Dürst wrote:
>>> I don't see how we can "deal with that" except by stating which one
>>> is valid.
>>>
>>> And as Martin's story of two I-Ds and a patent seems to show,
>>> even formatting differences can be relevant. So the argument that
>>> automatic reflowing doesn't matter is unconvincing to me.
>>>
>>> I remain convinced that we need to state which version is canonical.
>>> That doesn't mean I'm against reflowable formats, etc., for
>>> convenience. It's just that there needs to be a reference version.
>> The RSE only has to agree about which version is
>> canonical.  It can be a version which nobody
>> uses.
>
> I think it at least should be the one the author(s) review in AUTH48. That way, at least the canonical version has a higher chance of being error-free.

Exactly. It doesn't have to be the one for daily use, but it does
need to be the one that was formally "signed off".

>> It would be good if the content is as
>> similar as possible with the version people
>> prefer.  It does not have to be an exact
>> copy.  It does not have to be 40 characters per
>> line.  It does not have to contain page numbers after every 2000 characters.

Right. But in case of technical ambiguity, it will be the signed-off
version that wins, so we'd better do the utmost to avoid ambiguity.

    Brian