[rfc-i] open issues: small and mobile screens

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Tue Jun 5 12:13:11 PDT 2012

On 5 Jun 2012, at 20:02 , Joe Hildebrand wrote:

> Another interesting idea; the same server-side code could modify the
> local.css according to hints gleaned from the User-Agent string.

As a first approximation maybe, but my experiences with user agent sniffing haven't been uniformly favorable.

>> The problem here would be that this needs to be done either in a server side
>> script or javascript, unless I'm mistaken.

> Server-side would work just fine, and if implemented correctly, you could
> still use the file offline with whatever local css you want.

Right.

> Embedded/default CSS here

I don't think we'd want kilobytes of CSS code in RFCs, this would get in the way of human and maybe even machine readability. Perhaps if complex CSS is required for displaying RFCs well, the CSS included in RFC files could be a simplified version.

> With this approach, in this order, the default CSS works when you have just
> the file by itself, but the context from which the file is served can offer
> customization through local.css.

Yes. I think it's possible to have multiple external stylesheets. That way, the first level of customization, which would also work on devices that don't allow the user to store a stylesheet locally, would be by loading a user selected stylesheet hosted remotely. Then if a local one is present, it overrules the remote stylesheet.

The remote stylesheet could point to a script that reads a URL from a cookie and redirects the browser to that URL in the cookie. This way, there is no need to modify the RFC HTML.