[rfc-i] open issues: small and mobile screens

Joe Hildebrand jhildebr at cisco.com
Tue Jun 5 11:02:30 PDT 2012

On 6/5/12 9:24 AM, "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <iljitsch at muada.com> wrote:

> But now I have to modify the HTML file. That is highly undesirable. If the RFC
> Editor simply keeps local.css in the same directory as the RFCs then
> unmodified mirrored RFCs will pick up my private local.css. That would be
> cleaner.

No, I'm suggesting that the published version includes a link to a file that
doesn't exist (which works just fine).  I'd like the core content of the RFC
to be useable by passing around exactly one file, if at all possible.

> It would be good if in addition to the above, it is possible for users to have
> a link to the stylesheet stored in a cookie so they get to see the RFCs at
> rfceditor.org or ietf.org in their desired layout.

Yes, that could be done by server-side code that replies to the local.css
URL with something interesting for you.

> This is especially useful
> in the case of tablets and phones that usually don't allow for much pimping of
> the browser by the user and/or mess with locally stored files.

Another interesting idea; the same server-side code could modify the
local.css according to hints gleaned from the User-Agent string.

> The problem here would be that this needs to be done either in a server side
> script or javascript, unless I'm mistaken.

Server-side would work just fine, and if implemented correctly, you could
still use the file offline with whatever local css you want.

Here's what I've got:

  <head>
Embedded/default CSS here
    <link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' href='local.css' />
  </head>

With this approach, in this order, the default CSS works when you have just
the file by itself, but the context from which the file is served can offer
customization through local.css.

--
Joe Hildebrand