[rfc-i] open issues: small and mobile screens

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Tue Jun 5 08:24:48 PDT 2012

On 5 Jun 2012, at 16:26 , Joe Hildebrand wrote:

>> Hm, but if the CSS is embedded, how would you overrule it? Especially on
>> closed devices such as the iPhone.

> Rsync to your own mirror, then drop a local.css file into the correct
> directory.  Ensure the HTML references the (usually non-existent) local.css.

But now I have to modify the HTML file. That is highly undesirable. If the RFC Editor simply keeps local.css in the same directory as the RFCs then unmodified mirrored RFCs will pick up my private local.css. That would be cleaner.

It would be good if in addition to the above, it is possible for users to have a link to the stylesheet stored in a cookie so they get to see the RFCs at rfceditor.org or ietf.org in their desired layout. This is especially useful in the case of tablets and phones that usually don't allow for much pimping of the browser by the user and/or mess with locally stored files.

The problem here would be that this needs to be done either in a server side script or javascript, unless I'm mistaken.