[rfc-i] Who uses Word, was Proposed new RFC submission requirements

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Mon Jun 4 17:49:32 PDT 2012

Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Martin Rex wrote:
> >
> > That is unnecessary for the submission format and should therefore be
> > at discretion of the authoring tools.  Automated generation of section
> > numbers requires a lot of code (for the tools) and meta-data to
> > be created&maintained (for the author), and for documents up to 50
> > pages there is no benefit except maybe for some very chaotic authors.
>
> Automated internal cross-references are an enormous benefit even for
> the least chaotic authors.

It really depends on the author!

For small documents, I found them to be counterproductive(!) for documents
of less than 50 pages, i.e. the effort to maintain and update the
meta-data exceeds the maintenance of the references itself.

Often there are few internal cross-links anyway, and consciously
tracking changes of cross-references when doing major surgery on
a document helps keeping the mental model in sync with the
real document.

But then, there are folks that use the mouse to copy single words because
of how slow they type.  I am often too lazy to move my hand off the
keyboard and over to the mouse and rather re-type a whole line.
This probably depends on one's typing speed.  At 200+cps, retyping
a whole line does not take very long.

-Martin