[rfc-i] open issues: character sets of examples

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Mon Jun 4 16:39:00 PDT 2012

Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> "Martin Rex" <mrex at sap.com> wrote:
>>
>> Neither "mutt" nor my favourite Elm are capable of rendering anything
>> beyond iso8859-1, because the environments that I use (R5 xterm
>> with ssh remote login or putty) support it.
>
> Have you tried using a more recent version, or setting your LANG variable
> correctly?

I have my LANG variable set "correctly" in order to display
20 years of EMail, News, docs and Sourcecode and occasionally filenames
that contains iso8859-1 chars (predominantly german umlauts, but
also some others).   Switching to UTF-8 locale is simply not an option,
because it would break a LOTS of things with exactly ZERO benefit,
it would mess up or prevent display and editing of iso8859-1 TXT files and
precludy accessing of files with iso8859-1 filenames.

> % echo "\u0100"
> ?
> % echo $LANG
> en_US.UTF-8
> % echo $XTERM_LOCALE
> en_US.UTF-8
> % echo $XTERM_VERSION
> X.Org 6.8.99.903(253)

$ echo "\u0100"
\u0100
$ echo $LANG
en_US
$ echo $XTERM_VERSION
Cygwin 6.8.99.901(229)
$ echo $TERM
xterm-r5

> That fact that you are using tools that are not adequate to task,

My tools are perfectly adequate to display what *I* understand (german,
english and some french) and what I can type on my keyboard (subset of
iso8859-1).

> that are not supported anymore, and that are out of the mainstream
> even for *ix desktop users

In the world of professional commercial software, >10 years of support
is not unusal.  We often support our software several years longer
on a platform than the vendor of the underlying OS officially supports
that platform and leave it up to the customer when to upgrade his OS.
And for ease of use, I primarily use tools and features that are
available on *ALL* of our supported platforms, including the
old ones (e.g. AIX-4.3.3, HP-UX 11.0, Linux SLES-7, SunOS 5.6, OSF-1, ...)

> makes me less interested in solving your problem

*I* do not have a problem with the status quo.

I will not mind new features, provided that they do *not* break anything,
and that they will non-normative and can be ignored whenever they might
not render in the installed base or particular environments.

If something is important, it will have to be described in English
language with ASCII text for clarity, accuracy or interoperability.
Additional illustrations with non-ASCII text or graphic images are
OK as long as the document remains clear, accurate and meaningful
when rendered _without_ non-ASCII text and _without_ graphic images.

-Martin