[rfc-i] open issues: character sets of examples

Joe Hildebrand jhildebr at cisco.com
Mon Jun 4 14:49:51 PDT 2012

On 6/4/12 3:35 PM, "Martin Rex" <mrex at sap.com> wrote:

>> However, this is not an argument for banning all codepoints higher than 127
>> or 255.
>
> I *NEVER* said the latter, why do you keep bringing it up.

Sorry that I misunderstood what your point was - it seemed like you were
saying that since all Unicode code points don't work everywhere, we
shouldn't use it anywhere.

> It is important that the documents remain clear and fully accurate when
> NONE of the non-ASCII characters are rendered, so that those characters
> do not impair discussions (ASCII-email and vocal) and neither impair
> consumption (being rendered or printed on devices that do not support
> non-ASCII).

I think that's something we can leave to the standards communities involved
to do the right thing, perhaps with some guidance about how to test and the
consequences for going off-piste.

--
Joe Hildebrand