[rfc-i] open issues: character sets of examples

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Mon Jun 4 14:35:22 PDT 2012

Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> On 6/4/12 2:39 PM, "Martin Rex" <mrex at sap.com> wrote:
>>
>> e.g. Windows 7 with all 3 browser, MSIE 8, Chrome 18, FF 12,
>> placeholder boxes start appearing at U+0370:
>>
>>   http://www.utf8-chartable.de/unicode-utf8-table.pl?start=768
>
> As we've said before, care will need to be taken to select codepoints that
> render well across a variety of operating environments that are
> widely-deployed at the time of publication.  If someone uses one of those
> codepoints in a draft while Win7 is still widely-deployed, complain at last
> call, please.
>
> However, this is not an argument for banning all codepoints higher than 127
> or 255.

I *NEVER* said the latter, why do you keep bringing it up.

It is important that the documents remain clear and fully accurate when
NONE of the non-ASCII characters are rendered, so that those characters
do not impair discussions (ASCII-email and vocal) and neither impair
consumption (being rendered or printed on devices that do not support
non-ASCII).

-Martin