[rfc-i] open issues: character sets of examples

Joe Hildebrand jhildebr at cisco.com
Mon Jun 4 13:46:30 PDT 2012

On 6/4/12 1:24 PM, "Martin Rex" <mrex at sap.com> wrote:

>> Even my email client of choice -- mutt -- has been able to cope with
>> this for over 10 years on every terminal I have used.  Perhaps someone
>> can make the counter-argument clearer to me?
>
> Neither "mutt" nor my favourite Elm are capable of rendering anything
> beyond iso8859-1, because the environments that I use (R5 xterm
> with ssh remote login or putty) support it.

Have you tried using a more recent version, or setting your LANG variable
correctly?

On CentOS, the out-of-the-box xterm works fine, as does my local terminal
over SSH, as does mutt in both of those terminal environments.

% echo "\u0100"
?
% echo $LANG
en_US.UTF-8
% echo $XTERM_LOCALE
en_US.UTF-8
% echo $XTERM_VERSION
X.Org 6.8.99.903(253)

OK, that's from R6.  But X11R6.1 was released March 5, 1996.  Perhaps you
should upgrade your software at least once a decade, if only for security
reasons.

> But that is no problem,
> because I do neither understand nor can I type characters outside
> of iso8859-1 -- let alone pronounce them, so they're completely
> irrelevant to me and all technical discussions that I participate.

That fact that you are using tools that are not adequate to task, that are
not supported anymore, and that are out of the mainstream even for *ix
desktop users makes me less interested in solving your problem at the
expense of stopping forward progress in technical discussions that *do* need
this capability.

--
Joe Hildebrand