[rfc-i] open issues: character sets of examples

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Mon Jun 4 13:39:40 PDT 2012

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> Again, I'm not necessarily against non-latin forms of names, address
> and examples in addition to the latin forms (but never as a replacement!)

+1

> but you have to recognize that Unicode is not universally supported
> correctly.

correct:

One can see for oneself that are numerous unicode codepoints do not show
as glyphs on various devices that might be assumed to be "unicode capable":

e.g. Windows 7 with all 3 browser, MSIE 8, Chrome 18, FF 12,
placeholder boxes start appearing at U+0370:

  http://www.utf8-chartable.de/unicode-utf8-table.pl?start=768

e.g. Windows XP, MSIE 8 and FF 12, placeholder boxes start appearing
at U+0221 and U+0234 thru U+024F:

  http://www.utf8-chartable.de/unicode-utf8-table.pl?start=512

And when displaying this

    http://www.utf8-chartable.de/unicode-utf8-table.pl?start=768

on my new SLES-11sp1 server running FF 10 ESR and display on my cygwin/X11,
I have to Zoom in 3 times (Ctrl++) in order to get any glyphs rendered
for the combining accents U+0300 thru U+034F, they will be rendered
invisible for the default zoom and the two next higher zoom levels...

-Martin