[rfc-i] open issues: small and mobile screens

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Mon Jun 4 07:16:55 PDT 2012

On Sun, Jun 03, 2012 at 11:08:03AM -0600, Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> On 6/3/12 4:37 AM, "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <iljitsch at muada.com> wrote:
>
> > images where panning is an option. What I would like is to change the font
> > size, like ebook readers let you do.
>
> After reading a bit this morning, it looks like this is something that's
> frustrating to many iPhone users.  There are other mobile browsers that do a
> better job, which makes me hope that eventually they'll make it better.

Let's be clear here.

The _existing_ tools site html attempts to maintain the page layout of
the line printer format.  Therefore, the text can't be reflowed, so it
has to be tiny on the iphone screen.

The iPhone's Safari has lousy support for altering text size, yes, but
normally on text that can be reflowed I can read most sites.  That's why

> http://cursive.net/lorem.html

this is completely readable to me.

Best,

Andrew Sullivan