[rfc-i] issue: canonical formats

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Sun Jun 3 15:17:25 PDT 2012

On 4 Jun 2012, at 0:00 , John R. Levine wrote:

> Just because I don't happen to know the preferred address order in, say, Burkina Faso, doesn't mean that it's useless to know which part of the address is the postal code, or that we couldn't look it up if we wanted to send someone mail.

But you don't need to know where the postal code goes in order to send mail. You just need to take the address lines in the order that is used in the destination country and then put the name of the destination country in the language of the source country under that. So the only part that needs to be tagged is the country.

> PS: The Proof by Lack of Imagination is getting really old, and not just from one person.

I'll make you a deal: I'll refrain from using that proof if you guys refrain from adding requirements based on imagined future needs that don't exist today.