[rfc-i] issue: legal status of canonical formats

Yoav Nir ynir at checkpoint.com
Sun Jun 3 02:05:00 PDT 2012

On Jun 3, 2012, at 11:48 AM, John Levine wrote:

>> such as "mobile" html, epub, or ODF, but I think even the regular
>> HTML can and should work well on a phone or tablet, especially if it
>> looks like the current HTML output of xml2rfc.
>
> I can report from experience that a Kindle deals a lot better with a
> MOBI mechanically created from the HTML than it does with the HTML.
> It's quite slow, rendering HTML is not its strong point.

Sure. The kindle is first an ebook reader and a browser second. I'm sure translating XML or some other canonical input format into MOBI would be easy enough if not trivial.

iOS and Android however, are supposed to give you "the Internet", so they work acceptably even with non-"mobile" HTML. It's possible that a "mobile" HTML can be generated that would fit even better, but even regular HTML should look better than the photos that Colin Perkins posted yesterday.

Yoav