[rfc-i] issue: legal status of canonical formats

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Sun Jun 3 00:29:13 PDT 2012

> Please go and look at the rfc1305.txt, rfc1305.txt.pdf and rfc1305.pdf.

Yes, I know RFC 1305 has tables and diagrams that appear only in the
Postcript and PDF versions.  (You missed rfc1305.tar.)  I'm also aware of
RFCs 1119, 1124, 1128, 1129, and 1131.

Judges are not stupid.  If a witness were to say "this is the text version
of RFC 1305 which is missing important tables and diagrams present only in
the Postcript and PDF versions", really, they can deal with that.
They're even smart enough to understand that a printout of a web page
containing the txt version isn't the PDF version.

>> Is anyone else here speaking from actual experience verifying
>> documents in court, or are we blowing various gaseous mixes?

Any chance we can answer this question before diving further down this
rathole?

Regards,