[rfc-i] open issues: small and mobile screens

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Sat Jun 2 11:48:55 PDT 2012

>Could an alternative format be more readable and offer more features? I
>expect so. Is the current format unusable on constrained devices? Not if
>served using a simple HTML wrapper.

I gather you've never tried to read an RFC or a line printer format
I-D on a Kindle.  It's unusable, for a definition of unusable along
the lines of "so annoying that I'd go find some other way to read it
if there were any possible way to do so."

Look, I know that if I'm desperate I can run ssh on my daughter's
cheap cell phone and use "more" to page through copies of RFCs on my
server, trying to read the teensy weensy type.  But I wouldn't wish
that on anyone, particularly since there are widely available ways to
produce documents which are entirely legible on that device.  This
isn't a hair shirt contest.

R's,
John