[rfc-i] Who uses Word, was Proposed new RFC submission requirements

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Fri Jun 1 12:13:36 PDT 2012

On 2012-06-01 20:59, Martin Rex wrote:
> Julian Reschke wrote:
>>
>> Wrt containment: hopefully we agree that we want automated generation of
>> section numbers and section references. This implies that at some point
>> the processes used to generate the publication formats understand what's
>> nested into what, so that they can generate those.
>
> That is unnecessary for the submission format and should therefore be
> at discretion of the authoring tools.  Automated generation of section
> numbers requires a lot of code (for the tools) and meta-data to

It requires a few lines of code.

> be created&maintained (for the author), and for documents up to 50
> pages there is no benefit except maybe for some very chaotic authors.

Even if the author gets everything right, there'll be late changes due
to LC and IESG comments, plus edits from the RFC production center. It's
very easy to mess things up at this point.

Speaking of which, at that stage this information (thankfully!) is
added; so not submitting it just makes the work harder for the
production center, and thus wastes our money.

Best regards, Julian