[rfc-i] Who uses Word, was Proposed new RFC submission requirements

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Fri Jun 1 11:59:48 PDT 2012

Julian Reschke wrote:

> Wrt containment: hopefully we agree that we want automated generation of
> section numbers and section references. This implies that at some point
> the processes used to generate the publication formats understand what's
> nested into what, so that they can generate those.

That is unnecessary for the submission format and should therefore be
at discretion of the authoring tools.  Automated generation of section
numbers requires a lot of code (for the tools) and meta-data to
be created&maintained (for the author), and for documents up to 50
pages there is no benefit except maybe for some very chaotic authors.

-Martin