[rfc-i] ISBN and DOI

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Fri Jun 1 11:52:16 PDT 2012

Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> Numbers are free, there is an almost infinite number of them and nobody
> 'owns' them.
>
> $1 is not a reasonable price for a unique identifier any more.

Try telling this your national standards body member in ISO.

Our national ISO member DIN (Certco) believes that a lease of
Eur 5000 per year for an ASN.1 OID arc is a reasonable price
-- which is why so many folks get themselves an OID arc from
IANA under snmp private enterprises for free...
(at the expense of 2 extra bytes per OID) rather than leasing
one from their national ISO member.

-Martin